Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Eulogy One

Dear Murfreesboro Musicians,

I would first like to thank you all for Friday night: the Music was exquisite, and really, isn't that why we all came out to the bar? Surely we all left our houses around nine o'clock with only one intention: to be seen with - I mean, to see - that is, TO LISTEN TO - some great bands. It was our enthusiasm for the Music that led us to shower, and some of us to do our hair; it motivated many of us to trim our mustaches before donning some of our best thrift-store threads (for how can one honestly listen to good music when they're wearing something from the Gap, or worse - Old Navy?). And finally - why else would the Murfreesboro elite have bothered to mount their seven-foot-tall bicycles without helmets - if not for their passion for the Music? Our community's enthusiasm is like the spring-board from which the rich musical culture of Murfressboro has launched itself into the highest realms of artistic integrity.
Indeed, it is the artistry of our Music that keeps the city of Murfreesboro alive. We enjoy a purely aesthetic form of art, that has arisen from a recognition of the difference between superficial style and profound substance. Our musicians have boldly opted for the latter, and this is evidenced by their artistic selflessness. We see this selflessness manifest in the way they slavishly dress up for us: while their clothes and gleaming guitars vie for our attention, it's obvious that, in their hearts, they don't give a damn. Their attitude clearly shows us that the clothes are just part of the surface - and that their real concern lies in the Music itself. It is indeed unfortunate that the spectators must be drawn in by flashy garments and vintage hats; but then, let's not be too hard on them - the spectators have their own role to play.
We would be missing the point if we dwelt too long on the musicians themselves, for in our town, it's the audience that counts. These are the people who actually hear the music, and this they do very well - how else could we explain their ability to talk about the band and listen to it at the same time? Simon and Garfunkle describe this phenomenon as "people hearing without listening" - but I beg to differ. I myself can only be humbled by such a magnificent gift as they have, which itself bestows such respect upon the performers in question. Even the most attentive Nashville audience cannot compare to the way in which a typical Murfreesboro crowd can simultaneously process the Music and carry on a serious discussion with their neighbor about the magnificent quality of the band. And you can quote me on this: if that is not respect, then John Lennon was never on drugs.
So now we know: it is enthusiasm, selflessness and respect that have made the Music of Murfreesboro what it is today. And while I thank these musicians for all that they have done for me, I must also apologize to them. I was not as enthusiastic about the show as I could have been; I did not even shower beforehand, and, God forgive me, I showed up at the bar wearing Old Navy. Nor was I as respectful as the rest of your audience - but for this you will have to excuse God, for I was not blessed with that awesome ability of auditory multitasking that would have allowed me to sing your praises while you sang for me the wise words of Stevie Nicks. But if you will only accept my gratitude and forgive me my shortcomings, you will be more than repaid for all of your diligence and hard work - for my gratitude itself is indeed immense. Without you, our clothes would be nothing but clothes, our mustaches mere facial hair - and where would we all be then? So I thank you with all my heart for the Music - and for one more excuse to go to the bar.

No comments:

Post a Comment